Monday, January 21, 2013

something new sampler: scrap attack!

something new sampler header

Welcome to my stop on the something new sampler blog hop!  I've got a bit of a problem when it comes to quilting - scraps.  They're everywhere, bins here, bags, there.  Because I want my hobby to be as low footprint as it can (hard when we're talking shipping, dyes and non-organic fabrics) I don't throw out any scraps.  The teeny tiny ones are slowly stuffing a dog bed.  Today's project tackles some of the slightly bigger ones.


You can use this technique with any of your scraps.  Go monochrome, build a rainbow, choose a colour scheme.  I decided to go the monochrome route since a few recent projects has left my bins overflowing with aqua scraps.


Once you've chosen your scraps, just start sewing them together!  Channel those improv skills, don't worry about perfect ¼" seams.  We're building new, more useable yardage (ok, maybe fat quarter-age) out of otherwise difficult to use scraps. Don't worry about seams matching up or edges being even.  We can cut around that!  I don't normally press my seam open but I found it essential with this technique.  Anything that makes our new scrap base fabric flatter is awesome!  I can't use steam in my iron because of a really high iron concentration in our well water (hello rust spots), but if you can, steam will be your friend.


We're going to be cutting four pieces 3"x7½".  You might want to think about this while building your new fabric.  If your scraps are really small it might be easier to sew together only enough pieces for one 3"x7½" segment at a time.  If they're larger you can sew a much larger piece of scrap base and cut them all at once.  I sort of combined the two.  I sewed enough scraps together to cut the first three pieces then figured out where I had to add on in order to cut the fourth.

Now we need some sashing.  Since the large pieces are so scrappy I decided to go with a solid for my sashing, one I just happened to have in my scrap bin.  You'll need to cut four pieces 1½"x7½".


Sew one sashing piece to each scrap base segment, then sew all the sashing + scrap base segments together.  Done!  Now I know that a rectangular block (in this case 7"x14" finished) isn't the norm, but the scrap base technique can be used with so many other blocks.  My advice is to keep the scale larger and the piecing simple.

Don't forget to stop at the other blogs on the hop:

Jan 14th
Amy @ thecutelifesmiles.blogspot.com | Bargello piecing

Jan 21st
Heidi @ buttonsandbutterflies.com | folding 
Chelsea @ pinsandbobbins.blogspot.co.uk | a scraptastic technique

Jan 28th
Jess @ theelvengarden.blogspot.com.au | sashiko
Lindsay @ lindsaysews.com | reverse applique

Feb 4th
M-R @ quiltmatters.blogspot.com | trapunto
Heidi @ fabricmutt.blogspot.com | cathedral windows

Feb 11th
Alyssa @ pileofabric.com | pinless curves
Becky @ myfabricobsession.blogspot.com | machine applique


And stop by the cute life on Fridays for tips and tutorials on how to set these rectangular blocks! Posts will be up on the following dates:
Jan 18, Jan 25, Feb 1, Feb 8, Feb 15

Be sure to join the flickr group to keep up with the hop, the chatter, and some inspirational photos.

Amy has arranged some amazing prizes, so don't forget to link up on her blog if you've create anything using our tutorials!

xox,
c

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only one that has scrap guilt and keeps the crumbs. Love what you've done with these ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally into my scraps at the moment. Love this plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your hoarding your super small scraps to fill a dog bed is such a fantastic idea! awesome awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for scraps! You have an amazingly cohesive set of blues there, really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to try something like this for so long - can't believe the beautiful fabric I created so easily from my scraps, thanks for sharing the technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great, can't wait to make it!! thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cool idea - I'm totally going to make some scrappy fat quarter-age (love that term!) Stopping in from the blog hop, and I'm now following you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely post.looks great.I like it.Thanks for sharing this great post.
    Trace mobile number

    ReplyDelete