Monday, March 14, 2011

From pieces to pieced


My single girl is done!  Well, the piecing is at least.  And I'm psyched! 


Now comes the big debate.  Hand quilt or machine quilt?  I really think this is just begging for big colourful hand stitching.  But...


See that?  I know, it's not the best quality photo.  Anyways.  My big orange cat Tron likes to roll in dirt.  Then come and sleep on our bed.  I've washed this quilt at least once every 2 weeks.  I just don't know if hand quilting can stand up to that.  And I don't know of any way of keeping Tron off the bed that wouldn't get me in trouble with the SPCA.

ciao,
C

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I really like it! I wish I had joined in on this one, but I didn't have the time. And I swore that my first DS quilt was my last. Templates are not my friend! I'm still tempted, though. :)

    As for the quilting, I prefer the durability of machine quilting (and 2 dogs sleep on my bed...). I do like the look of the modern hand quilting, but I wonder how well it will wear. (I also worry about it getting snagged by my dogs' nails.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could machine quilt the majority of the quilt and use a little hand quilting to accent maybe? Either way, it will be fantastic, because that top is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, is that a linen backing? I hand-quilt my pre-school son's quilts, because I figured if the stitches broke it would be easy to do them again, whereas with machine-quilting, repairs would be tricky. He's pretty tough on his quilts, but then on the other hand he doesn't have claws ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea from Danielle about machine quilting and adding some detail with hand stitching. Best of both.

    ReplyDelete