Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blocks, no quilts


After the Made in Cherry Quilt along I'm feeling a little lost.  I just don't know what to start on next.  So, like a good quilter I've been playing, making blocks.


First I decided to jump on the x+ bandwagon.  Who knew it created such tiny blocks?  I guess I would have if I'd actually read Amy's post before just jumping in, cutting and sewing.  They're cute, I'll keep making them out of my scraps, but I don't see a bed quilt emerging from these.  (they're 7½" finished, by the way.)


Next was the granny square blockJolene started these, Heather made me realize I couldn't not make some.  I've made one.  I'll make more.


Finally the retro flower block.  I kept looking at the pattern and putting it off.  I don't really like buying patterns.  I can't be bothered reading instructions.  So it seems kind of dumb to buy them.  But this ones seemed original enough that it really would be pretty sh*tty of me to just draft it myself.  I've made two blocks so far, one using the templates in the pattern, one using slightly larger ones.  I just wanted to see how it would look bigger.  Blame it on swoon, I want to make everything bigger now.


Oh, and I still haven't read the instructions.  I'm sure they're good, I'd just rather be sewing.

xox
c

Pin It

17 comments:

  1. The quilt-a-long is finished?! I missed the end! Mine is done, it just needs binding. And the time I set aside to make my binding--yup, the power went out :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous! I'm in the same roadblock, hopefully these blocks are enough to inspire you to the next project :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe - I'm exactly the same! I'm in an in between period with my projects and what have I been doing? Making blocks!

    Yours all look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That point where you're in-between projects, with no real impulse to commit to anything, but that fabric stash is glaring at you begging to be used...... I know it well! Looks like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the flowers but still not quite ready to try a curve. Just the Idea scares me I made a granny square block and totally love it I think I am going to make a few more (OK a quilt more). But looking at the plus block one I kinda like it too? I want to make me a new quilt out of something complicated and cool just cant yet decided what in the heck I want to make it from but the Granny Square is topping the list.

    Richard Healey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh you need a nice bit of paper-piecing - Sew Out Loud, or the New York Beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all look great! I really want to retro flower this weekend, I have the pattern and templates in my hot little hands now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! I'm loving all of these blocks. Your comment about the Swoon blocks making you want to create everything bigger is hilarious :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are all looking great! I'm glad you bought Christina's pattern, it's nice to support each other and writing a pattern and finishing the sample is so much work for the designer - typically blogging designers give tons away for free in the form of tutorials, so once in a while it is nice to recognize that when they publish a pattern and chuck $8 or $10 in their direction if you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMAZING - All of them! I'll be trying to catch up with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the retro flower block..very cute! Backing for made in cherry quilt...done! Will pin then quilt...? Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your blocks and fabric choices. The more I see everyone's granny squares the more I want to make some... I love the retro flower too but am not confident enough to try curves! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blocks! I'm always lost after I finish a big project too... thankfully that doesn't happen all that often. ;)

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i still havent made an x+ block... i love them though and i love yours. i love how the scrappy and awesome every one looks. i need to make a few grannies too, like soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all of your blocks Chelsea - I haven't made any of these ones but yours all look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blocks look so fresh, love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blocks look great! I love the colours in your granny square. Your retro flowers turned out so nicely. That's great that you supported Christina by buying her pattern. She's really lovely! I just made her log cabin needle book and hope to try the retro flowers soon.

    ReplyDelete